"The job of a wife is to obey her husband" (Amver, 2008). Yes, and all a wife is, just a wife. Of course, society has forgotten that she is also human, who not only has feelings, but also fears, and marriage may be one of them. Perhaps, the biggest one is these situations.
Imagine your daughter, who's 13, getting married to man who is 40. I can't do that, now imagine yourself being the 13 year old. EVEN WORSE. Then why is it so hard for us to see what is happening right in front of us, are we blind? or is the tradition that is invisible? Personally, I think it is both.
While doing my research, I found an article that bought tears to my eyes, and gave me goosebumps, because it was so disturbing to learn about these girls. Here is a small part of the article, that sheds light on what the two are feeling:
"Haiima and Alia, now sitting on woven chairs in the cool shade of a neighbor's hut, seem to know little of what it means to be a wife, or maybe they're just too embarrassed to say "The job of a wife is to obey her husband." offers Haiima, whose husband-to-be is 40. "And to pound the millet for dinner" (Amber, 2008).
What I feel is even more disturbing is how the innocence is snatched away...anotehr abstract from the article states:
Isn't that the best option if not education?
THINK. FOR YOURSELF.
No comments:
Post a Comment